The Valley Arts Council announces the programming for the first Fridays in downtown June
The Valley Arts Council’s Downtown First Fridays in June has in-person options throughout the month at several locations, with other venues offering virtual art experiences – or a combination of both.
An interactive First Fridays Downtown map provides information about each site (valleyarts.org/first-fridays-map).
Art experiences in June include:
- Arts Incarnate (292 N. Liberty St.) will host a dance concert with the flamenco duo, Jaleo Arte, on Saturday June 5 at 7 p.m. Flamenco and wine tickets are available for purchase at artsincarnate.com/events/flamenco-and-wine -an event.
- OASIS Fine Art & Craft (103 S. Main St.) is hosting an opening in-person reception on Friday, June 4 (5 to 8 p.m.) for It’s All Relative, an exhibition of artwork in multiple mediums by descendants of Daniel Heatwole. Details on oasisfineartandcraft.org.
- VMRC’s Park Gables Gallery presents more than 100 works in its 18th annual juror art exhibition, from May 31 to June 30. Available online (vmrc.org/juried-art-exhibitions), the exhibition is also open on a limited basis. Reserve your space (at least 24 hours in advance) at signupgenius.com/go/10c0d49aeae22a4fcc07-2021.
- Smith House Galleries (311 S. Main St.) is hosting The Spirit of Things: Painting by Keith Mills, with an online exhibition June 1–25 (valleyarts.org/current-exhibition); AND in person on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., starting June 9. The exhibition is sponsored by GreeneHurlocker, PLC.
- Ten Thousand Villages (181 S. Main St.) will host an opening reception in person from 5 to 7 p.m. on June 4, featuring freehand lettering by artist Olivia Brown for the mats, greeting cards and other objects. Learn more at tenthousandvillages.com/harrisonburg.
- The Virginia Quilt Museum (301 S. Main St.), now celebrating its 25th anniversary, has an online exhibit featuring one quilt from each year of the museum’s existence (youtu.be/-LDT7Ru2F2c). The museum is also open for in-person tours Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Wilson Downtown Gallery (83 S. Main St.) displays photographs by Greg Versen. Stop by Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or visit wilsondowntowngallery.com online.
Other venues participating in Downtown First Fridays 2021 include: Dancing With Karen, Explore More Discovery Museum, Harrisonburg Baptist Church, Heritage Bakery & Cafe, Hess Financial, Horizon Gifts, Hotel Madison & Shenandoah Valley Conference Center, The little Gallery Underground, Look West Gallery @ The Mark-It, Oliver Art House (on Broadway), Restless Moons Brewing and Rockingham Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.
Coordinated by ACV, First Fridays Downtown is a full-year community event, featuring 19 participating venues and providing artistic experiences – virtually and in person – to hundreds of people of all ages every first Friday.
Support is provided by Kathy Moran Wealth Group, Matchbox Realty and Riner Rentals, 2021 Platinum Sponsors of ACV’s Cultivating the Arts.